Oh The Genetics Of Me

Oh, The Genetics of Me!


Will they ever be free

of the genetics of me

from the aftermath of my path.

I never really rectified

the damage that i did,

I never really justified

my behaviours, I just hid

away my pain and sorrow

denying its existence.

Tragic as the story is

my sheep was painted black,

family loving clack

took my white away,

and until my dying day

I'll be kept that dark of way.

It's of my children I do ponder

I can't help but to wonder,

what colour is their wool

in the eyes of the family,

I know I was a calamity

and couldn't tow the line,

but because you 

displaced my disgrace,

do they have to be redefined?

See if you look 

and open up your eyes

you'll see their lines are straight,

I hope before you 

become colour blind,

you'll have a fair debate

and maybe even wait,

time will always tell

if they do well. 

The times I've tried to wash this wool

because I feel so shameful,

no matter how hard I rub and scrub

the black won't go away,

it's definitely here to stay.


By Toni Cairns 

9th April 2019. 

@babbspoetry 




Comments

Popular Posts